Thanks to the generosity of Louis Mayer Rabinowitz – an American Jewish philanthropist who lived from 1887 to 1957 – the Rabinowitz Fund for Judaica Research (at Yale University) was established two years before his passing. The focus was for Semitic languages and literature but this was just one part of the generosity with which he was involved. In addition, the Louis M. Rabinowitz Foundation – for which he was responsible in 1953 – sponsored a five-year archaeological exploration in Israel in conjunction with the Hebrew Union College of Cincinnati.
Rabinowitz was known throughout his life as being at the forefront of giving to community affairs, both in money and time. He was the Vice President in 1921 at the Hebrew National Orphan Home, as well as the American Jewish Historical Society, Brooklyn’s Jewish Hospital and the NY chapter of the America-Israel Society. He also held a key role at the Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies of New York City in 1935, as Director.
Since Rabinowitz loved books and paintings, his will committed the large collection he assembled during his lifetime to the New York Public Library, Library of Congress, Jewish Theological Seminary, and Yale University.
Other philanthropic acts Rabinowitz engaged in included his directorship at Yale University’s Association of Fine Arts, honorary trustee of the educational institute’s Library Associates and director of the Jewish Theological Seminary. In this latter role he created the Louis M. Rabinowitz Institute for Research in Rabbinics.